Compass Box Whisky Vice President Marc Nicolet will guide guests through an exclusive five-course dinner and scotch whisky tasting on Tuesday, Aug. 1 at Gamlin Whiskey House.
This is Not a Luxury Whisky, The Circus, Three Year Old Deluxe, The Double Single and Flaming Heart Compass Box whiskies will be served.
“Guests will have the rare opportunity to try five different Limited Edition Compass Box Scotch Whisky alongside some fantastic dishes created specifically to pair with these whiskies,” owner Derek Gamlin says. “Having Marc here to guide guests through the experience of tasting these small batch whiskies is an exciting opportunity for scotch whisky enthusiasts.
About the Whiskies
Three Year Old Deluxe
Only 3,282 bottles of The Three Year Old Deluxe were released. It was bottled in August 2016 and shows notes of rich vanilla and baked orchard fruit. It is a blended malt whisky composed of just under 1 percent 3-year-old malt whisky produced near the village of Brora, a little over 90 percent malt whisky of a considerably older age from the same distillery and 9 percent peaty malt whisky, distilled on the Isle of Skye. Strict government regulations only allow Compass Box to share details of the age of the youngest component of its whiskies.
The Circus is a rare whisky that combines old parcels of Blended Scotch and Blended Grain whisky that had been aged pre-blended in cask for many years. In March 2016, 2,490 bottles were released. The whiskymakers describe this whisky as brimming with dried fruit character, a luscious maltiness and nuances of almond and hazelnut.
The Double Single is one of the newest Limited Editions from Compass Box; 5,838 bottles were released in March 2017. One single grain whisky and one single malt whisky were combined to create a whisky that displays a creamy vanilla character over an earthy malt whisky character.
This is Not a Luxury Whisky
Bottled in August 2015, This is Not A Luxury Whisky was a limited release of 4,992 bottles. The inspiration for this limited release is René Magritte’s 1929 work “Ceci n’est pas une pipe,” a Surrealist painting which challenges perceptions of reality. It presents with complex, rich and opulent flavors with a lingering sweet smoke finish.
Flaming Heart Fifteenth Anniversary Limited Edition
Flaming Heart was released in July 2015 to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Compass Box. The whiskymakers note that Flaming Heart was the first whisky to combine the rich, complex spice of Scotch aged in new French oak with the evocative peat-fired smoke of Islay malt. This is the oldest edition of Flaming Heart released.
Tasting Dinner Menu
- Amuse • 3 Year Old Deluxe
- Grilled Peach Bruschetta — Heartland Creamery Fine Herb Goat Cheese, Prosciutto Di Parma, Bourbon Vanilla Infused Honey, Arugula, Balsamic, Grilled Sourdough
- Course 2 • The Circus
- Rainbow Quinoa Salad — Red and White Quinoa, Stilton, Almond, Walnut, Port Soaked Cherries, Dried Cranberries and Apricots, Golden Raisins, Toasted Pistachio, Cilantro, Mint, Lemon-Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Course 3 • Double Single
- Butternut Squash Soup — Pan Seared Colossal Scallop, Caramelized Apples, Orange-Fennel Mostarda, Chive Oil, Crème Fraiche, Toasted Sunflower Seeds
- Course 4 • This Is Not A Luxury Whisky
- Braised Kurobuta Pork Osso Bucco — Farro-Manchego Risotto, Charred Green Beans, Ozark Mushrooms, Sherry-Lavender Braise, Spring Radish, Shitake “Bacon”
- Course 5 • Flaming Heart
- Chai Latte Cheesecake — Mascarpone, Gingernut Crust, Candied Ginger, Cardamom Crème Anglaise